Bell Super 3R Helmet: Is it the best Helmet?
There are times when you and your bike part company and you get a bit friendly with the scenery. Sometimes it is hilarious (for your friends at least) and some times it can be a bit more serious. You only have one head, so you should really look after it. I use the Bell Super 3R helmet, and here’s why.
It suits my style of riding
I live in Morzine in the French alps, so no matter what kind of riding you do, there will be an element of downhill, it is in the mountains after all. I chose the So Bell super 3R because it is a full face helmet with a removable chin bar. That means I can stop my mouth looking like a broken piano when I go over the bars.
I mainly like to go on a full day out, pedaling off in to the mountains on the single track, but I do love a downhill day.
When I have a downhill day, I don’t go gnarly and hit all the road gaps. I generally don’t do anything more difficult than a red trail. If I was a full on downhiller however, I may look at other options for a helmet (although there is a DH version).
Recently my friends and I have been riding more natural technical terrain. This helmet is perfectly suitable for this type of riding. It is definitely an all mountain helmet.
It is super comfy
The Bell super 3R helmet is so comfy, there are a few reasons for this:
- It is very well ventilated. As you can see from the pictures, there are lots of air holes. Its 23 vents in the main part and 4 brow ports mean you don’t overheat and boil your head like an egg.
- It is nice and light for a full face at 784.1g
- You can adjust it for a perfect fit with a turn of the dial on the back.
- The padding is pretty good, but it isn’t all plush and spongy in there, you just need to get the sizing right. As long as you do, you will forget you have it on. If you find your are between sizes, go for the larger option.
It is packed full of features
- The main feature of this helmet is obviously the removable chin bar, this makes it very versatile. You can use it as an open face enduro style helmet for those rides where you are confident in your ability. But it is also a full face helmet for those days when you feel it may get a bit “interesting”. You can easily put the chin bar in your pack for extra ventilation on those long rides where you have some big uphill sections.
- You don’t have to worry about finding a suitable place to mount your Go Pro either. The Bell super 3R has a removable Go Pro mount. If you are using a Go Pro and want to film the trail behind you, you may want to use a small extension to raise it slightly to get the best angle pointing up the hill.
- The MIPS feature adds that extra protection. MIPS stands for Multi-directional Impact Protection System. This allows the inside of the helmet to slip slightly in the event of an impact. It does this to reduce the rotational forces you may experience.
- The adjustable sun visor and the shape of the helmet allows for comfortable placement of goggles. This means the visibility is as good as an open face helmet.
|Bell Super 3 R|
It looks good
It looks pretty bad ass actually! When I got mine there were only a few colours available and a lot of my friends already had one. Luckily nobody had the Matt black/Orion version, which was my favourite. The coloured part changes depending on the sunlight, so sometimes it is purple and sometimes is has a cool green tinge to it. Carolyn (my wife) has the turquoise version (that’s her in the pic above!) and that one looks pretty good too.
I recommend that you buy a Bell Super 3R
The Bell Super 3R is the most comfortable mountain bike helmet I have had. Not because it is all cosy in there, but because you forget you have it on. There are a number of people that I ride with that either have the 2R (the previous non MIPS version) or the 3R, and we all are of the same opinion.
If you spend your time smashing the downhill trails all day, I would probably look elsewhere for a helmet, you might want to look at the DH version. I haven’t tried this one yet, but if you have please let me know what you think of it in the comments section below.
|Bell Super 3 R|