Fox have improved their mountain bike clothing a lot in the past few years. They have introduced more technical fabrics, while the fit and features have been approved. The current iterations of Fox MTB shorts are products of these improvements. In this post I am going to go through Fox’s range of shorts to help you decide which ones to buy.
Fox Racing Defend Shorts
The Fox Racing Defend collection is made to perform in the most demanding conditions. The shorts are equipped with reinforced taped seams for fantastic durability and comfort.
The Fox Defend shorts are are designed with durability and comfort in mind. This is especially the case with the Defend Kevlar short. The shorts have Kevlar panels that wrap around most of the thigh area. You will find that the pockets are quite small though, but there is the addition of pocket on the left thigh, giving you a little bit more storage space. This extra pocket is zips up and seals its contents from the weather.
The graphics will last a long time, as they are rubberised and sublimated onto the fabric. If you don’t want shorts that are so rugged and prefer something a little less bullet proof, you can opt for the non-Kevlar version. However, all versions of these shorts are really comfortable even with the Kevlar panels directly on your skin. They also have a great fit. The Fox Defend shorts feature laser cut holes to give you plenty of ventilation and airflow.
The waist is not elasticated, but it has a ratchet closure system. This gives you enough adjustability to dial in the perfect fit.
- Kevlar fibers have higher cut, tear, and abrasion resistance
- Ratchet closure provides a secure fit and quick on-the-fly adjustments
- Secure zip hand pockets
- TruMotion all-way stretch fabric offers full range of motion
- Body-mapping laser perforated areas on front and back keep you cool
- Durable Water Resistant finish sheds moisture, dirt, and debris
- Inseam: 14.5″ size large, men’s
- Body: 93% polyester / 7% spandex
- Panel: 75% nylon / 10% spandex / 9% Kevlar / 6% polyester stretch Kevlar
Fox Racing Flexair Shorts
If maximum performance with minimal weight is what you look for in mountain bike shorts, you need to check out the Fox Racing Flexair. This range uses the lightest and most breathable fabrics. The athletic fit and four-way stretch construction, is designed to keep you cool and dry on even the longest, hottest rides.
The Fox Flexair shorts are made using the ‘Tru-Motion’ material. This stuff is used on Fox’s premium motocross pants, which gives you an idea of how good it is. The Fox Flexair shorts have a different feel than most mountain bike shorts. Your first impression will probably lead to you thinking that they are trail specific shorts, thanks to their light weight. They are also very stretchy to make sure that your movement isn’t restricted and you are as comfortable as possible. Fox claim that the Flexair shorts are 40-percent more durable than any other mountain bike shorts that have four-way-stretch materials.
The fasten up with with a ratchet buckle and have zip fly. Extra security comes from a silicone strip around the inside of the waistband. Practicality comes in the form of two nicely sized zipped pockets. These pockets, two zipped on either side, are large enough for hands, your wallet or phone if you don’t like wearing a backpack.
A number of small holes on the inner thigh and just under the waist provide a small level of ventilation. The Flexair shorts are not as ‘airy’ as the jersey, but they are more rugged and provide durability. Overall, the Flexair shorts show us what is possible when manufacturers use quality and technical materials to shorts that are often over engineered and uncomfortable.
- Materials: Nylon 88% Elastane 12%
- Ratchet closure provides a secure fit & quick on-the-fly adjustments
- Secure zip hand pockets
- Bonded hem with over-taping detail is low-profile & reduces chaffing
- TruDri fabrics move sweat away from the body to keep you dry
- TruMotion all-way stretch fabric for increased mobility
- Durable Water Resistant finish sheds moisture, dirt, & debris
- Inseam: 13″ size large
Fox Racing Ranger Shorts
The Fox Racing Ranger shorts are designed to perform everywhere. The Ranger line is Fox’s most versatile collection. It has a natural feel and subtle technical features to make it a great balance for all types of mountain biking.
The idea behind the Fox Racing Ranger shorts is to work well for all types of mountain biking. This is done with a cut that makes them very versatile. The crotch is positioned high to ensure that it won’t snag on your saddle. The legs are trim but not tight fitting and the length is set to not interfere with your knee pads. The material has a slick texture to it, making it easy to move around on the bike, without it catching on anything.
A bonus of the Ranger mountain bike shorts, is that they have a removable liner included. This makes them extremely comfortable and the EVO chamois gives you a little bit of padding.
These shorts also have a good set of pockets. There are two thigh pockets that are nicely shaped and are subtle to look at. They have plenty of room for even the largest smartphone.
The Fox Ranger mountain bike shorts, but they would be improved with a little more ventilation. However, the mid-weight fabric they are made from balances durability and comfort very well. You may find them a bit warm if you are riding on a hot day.
- Materials: 57% Polyamide, 38% Polyester, 5% Elastane
- Lining: 83% Polyester, 17% Elastane
- Removable liner with dual-density chamois for improved saddle comfort
- Stretch Ripstop fabric maximizes performance on every ride
- Goggle strap inspired low-profile waist adjustment system ensures a perfect fit
- TruDri™ lined waistband moves sweat and moisture away from the body keeping you comfortable and dry
- Secured zip pocket to stash everything you need for a ride
- Durable Water Repellent finish sheds moisture, dirt, and debris
- Fox screen print logo
Which Fox MTB Shorts Will You Buy?
The range of Fox MTB Shorts is no doubt excellent. Which ones you choose will depend on your personal preference and the type of riding you do. Which Fox MTB shorts will you buy and why? Please let me know in the comments section below.
Why not check out the Fox Racing range of jerseys to complete the look?