Women's MTB Shorts
At the moment there are some very nice women’s MTB shorts available. Not only do they look great, but they are made for the job in hand. In this post, I am going to go through some of the best women’s MTB shorts on the market right now.
Endura Hummvee II
Hummvee stands for High Mobility Multi-use Versatility, which gives you an idea of what these shorts are like. The Endura Hummvee II shorts are loaded with features, and just like other Endura products, very well priced.
The material is made to last, but not very stretchy, so if you are in to long endurance pedals, you might want to look elsewhere. But, they do include the Endura Clickfast detachable liner, which is a stretchy mesh liner, with a foam chamois to help with comfort.
The six zipped pockets are useful and secure enough to make sure you don’t lose your stuff on the trails. But they also feature zipped thigh vents for ventilation, which is a great addition, as the fabric is quite thick.
When compared to the men’s version, the ladies Hummvee II shorts don’t look as utilitarian, but still look techy without looking cluttered. However, they are made from the same ripstop fabric with a DWR treatment, which is extremely durable. Durability is aided with triple-stitched seams. But the seat panel is seamless, making sure you are comfortable on the saddle.
The Endura Hummvee II shorts are ideal for people that want a durable pair of mountain bike shorts, that are feature-rich and good value for money. But, if you are looking for a lightweight pair of mountain bike shorts for hot days or long pedals, you may want to try an alternative.
- Material: 100% Polyester
- Durable Nylon mini-ripstop fabric with DWR
- Includes Clickfast detachable liner with 200 series
- Zipped thigh vents with mesh inserts
- Zipped hand pockets cargo pockets and large rear map pockets
- Durable seamless seat panel
- Rear elasticated waistband and adjustable belt
Fox Racing Womens Ranger Shorts
The Fox Ranger shorts have quite a casual appearance, but they are a very technical pair of mountain bike shorts.
They are made from a very breathable and stretchy material. Like the Endura Hummvee II, they also have a removable liner with a chamois. However, unlike the Hummvee II, these are very lightweight, and they look less like a bike short. Therefore, you could get away with wearing them casually when you are not riding.
The Fox Ranger shorts have subtle waist adjustment in the form of integrated straps. These allow you to get the perfect fit. However, only one pocket can be zipped up, but that shouldn’t matter if you wear a backpack or hip pack.
The Ripstop fabric used in the Fox Ranger shorts is durable, but it doesn’t feel as industrial as the Endura Hummvee II, thanks to its light weight and breathability.
These shorts are suited to casual riding or if you are planning on wearing mountain bike clothes when not on the bike. If you don’t wear a backpack or hip pack, you will struggle to carry your phone, wallet, keys and a multitool safely though. But, backpack wearers will love the comfort they provide on long days on the bike, while not feeling too “mountain bikey” in the pub afterwards.
- Materials: 65% Polyamide, 29% Polyester, 6% Elastane
- Lining: 66% Polyester, 17% Polyamide, 17% Elastane
- Removable liner with dual-density chamois for improved saddle comfort
- Stretch Ripstop fabric maximizes performance on every ride
- Goggle strap inspired low-profile waist adjustment system ensures a perfect fit
- TruDri™ lined waistband moves sweat and moisture away from the body keeping you comfortable and dry
- Secured zip pocket to stash everything you need for a ride
- Durable Water Repellent finish sheds moisture, dirt, and debris
- Fox screen print log
Nukeproof Blackline Women's Shorts
The Blackline shorts are Nukeproof’s premium trail riding shorts. There are also some very nice jerseys that go with these shorts, both long and short sleeved.
But the shorts feature a tough and stretchy fabric, with a DWR coating. The coating means that you will be protected from showers and splashes through puddles when riding. They have two zipped hip pockets (the left one has a loop for your keys) and one on the back.
To stop them slipping down, the Blackline shorts have silicone strips on the inside of the waistband. There are also internal waist adjusters to ensure the perfect fit. But, these shorts excel when it comes to comfort, thanks to the loose cut. But, Nukeproof have got the cut just right, as the shorts don’t look too baggy. The cut is quite straight, so off the bike, they may not suit your personal preferences, but on the bike, you will be impressed with their performance.
The length of the Blackline shorts sees them drop just below your knee, but they don’t interfere with your knee pads.
Although the Nukeproof Blackline shorts are primarily designed for trail riding, they are pretty versatile. You will find them comfortable when riding bike parks, or even on day long enduro rides. They are good value and have subtle styling, so they are ideal for those that don’t want shorts that are too shouty and loud.
- Main Material: 88% Polyester, 12% Elastane
- Stretch fabric with DWR
- Inner waist adjustable velcro tabs plus inner waist silicon grip to prevent shorts slipping down
- Mesh lined waistband for comfort and moisture wicking
- YKK Zips
- 2 front zipped security pockets plus 1 back zipped security pocket
- Popper buttons at fly for extra secure fitting – Belt Loops
- Inner pocket lanyard clip loop
- Triple stitched inner leg hems for extra strength
- Rubberised printed graphics
- Nukeproof branded trims
Endura Women's MT500 Spray Baggy Short II
The MT500 shorts from Endura are pretty iconic and have gone through many iterations over the years. They are designed as all mountain mountain bike shorts, and now they have more waterproofing. Their extra coverage and design protect you from splashes and rain, while looking cool.
If you have ever ridden in shorts that are not designed to give you some protection from water, you will know how cold and uncomfortable you can get. Well the MT500 Spray Baggy Short II has a waterproof seat panel, while the rest of them have a DWR treatment. The seams are taped to provide extra protection from water, making them ideal for riding on soggy days.
The stretchy fabric is lightweight, which makes them very comfortable and unrestrictive, even when riding all day. Their length drops just below the knee, but the bottoms are shaped to neatly fit over your knee pads.
The two zipped hip pockets are big enough for your phone and anything you want to keep close to hand. They are equipped with the fasteners for the Clickfast liner, but this is not included.
For riding in the UK, the MT500 Spray Baggy Short II are ideal. They keep you reasonably dry and comfortable, while looking good. You may want to go for the next size up to what you normally have though as they tend to come up a bit small.
- Material: 100% Polyamide (Nylon)
- Lightweight, durable, 4-way stretch front panels with DWR finish
- Waterproof, 3 layer seam taped rear panels for spray protection
- Stretch, wicking waistband with Velcro® side waist adjuster
- Zipped hand pockets
- Clickfast™ liner compatible
These Are Some Of The Best Women's MTB Shorts
There are many more Women’s MTB Shorts on the market, but these are some of the best ones you can buy. If you have any thoughts or questions, please leave them in the comments section below.