Troy Lee started his company in 1981. He originally started out customizing helmets for motor bike racers. But now Troy Lee Designs has a huge portfolio. Their products consist of a full range of clothing and protection equipment for riders of motor and mountain bikes.
Here is an overview of Troy Lee Designs products and where you can buy them online.
Troy Lee Designs mountain bike clothing is geared towards freestyle, all mountain and downhill riding. Their range of jerseys are made with moisture wicking materials. This means you will be cool and comfortable all day. Most of Troy Lee Design’s jerseys have a bold style, with bright colours and graphics. This comes from their Motocross background.
The fit of Troy Lee Designs jerseys are made to suit rider’s respective disciplines, with choices of short, long and 3/4 length sleeves. For example the Skyline Streamline jersey is not too baggy, but not too tight-fitting. This makes it ideal for all day trail riding.
All Troy Lee Designs clothing products now have the Bluesign system. This is a solution for sustainable textile production, and makes the manufacturing process less harmful to the environment. It does this by removing harmful substances from the process and sets controls and standards that protect the environment.
[table id=90 /]
Troy Lee Designs also make some great shorts that compliment their jerseys. They are made from breathable, lightweight but tough fabrics. Their shorts are also made from a stretchy technical fabric, to ensure your movement isn’t restricted in any way. They come in a range of different cuts, to suit the type of riding you do. From baggy shorts for casual riding, to closer fitting ones for racing. In true Troy Lee Designs style, the shorts come in a huge range of colours, from stealth black to a bright as you could possibly want them.
[table id=91 /]
The range of Troy Lee Designs jackets isn’t that big, however the ones that are MTB specific are great.
Troy Lee Designs Transit Jacket
The Transit jacket is a soft shell that gives you protection from the weather, while being breathable. It is designed for working hard in cold weather. You can also unzip the vents to let some heat out when the going gets tough.
- Material: 95% Polyester, 5% Spandex
- 2-way stretch DWR coated outer shell fabric bonded to brushed tricot
- Taped interior seams
- 2-way waterproof YKK front zipper allows for venting
- Underarm vents, easy access upper arm pocket and rear storage pocket with YKK waterproof zippers
- Rear venting panel allows for excess body heat to escape
- Water resistant media pocket
- Front hand pockets with YKK waterproof zippers
- Interior Lycra cuffs lock out wind and water
- Interior brushed micro fibre zipper garage
- Drop tail to provide extra coverage
Troy Lee Designs Ruckus Jacket
The Troy Lee Designs Ruckus jacket is a lightweight waterproof outer layer. It is designed for rainy winter rides, and has a storm flap and a laminated interior, to keep the elements out.
- 100% nylon shell
- TPU laminated interior for water resistance
- Oversize and removable hood for over the helmet coverage
- Micro fiber collar lining for added warmth and comfort
- Hook and loop wrist closure
- Elastic cord lock bottom hem
- Rear cargo pocket
- Humidity relief upper back vent
- Media port
- Hook and loop security storm flap
[table id=92 /]
Troy Lee Designs Helmets
This is where Troy Lee Designs started, and in the mountain bike world, they are probably most famous for their downhill helmets. However, Troy Lee Designs also make some great half shell enduro helmets.
Troy Lee Designs D3
The TLD D3 is true to the brand with a bold motocross inspired design. The one pictured above is the top of the range carbon version, but are a few different helmets in the D3 range. They come in lots of different colour ways to give you that trademark Troy Lee Designs look. However, the D3 isn’t just about how it looks. It is a super comfortable full face mountain bike helmet, thanks to its plush p[adding and its wide choice of sizes and shapes. This makes it easy to get the perfect fit.
The helmet has MIPS technology to reduce the forces going in to your head when you crash.
TLD have spent a lot of time focusing on the aerodynamics of the D3 too. This is to ensure the shape is nice and slippy through the air, and to ensure the ventilation ducts work how they should. This kind of detail doesn’t come cheap, but when you realise the level of detail TLD have put in to it, the price starts to become more justifiable.
- Hand laid pre-preg carbon/composite/MCT weave blend for superior shell construction and weight reduction
- Top layer UD (unidirectional) carbon weave provides strength and style
- High modulus Kevlar reinforced high impact zones for increased strength and rigidity
- Nylon reinforcement polymer in key high-wear and impact zones
- Technologically advanced aerospace carbon/composite shell construction
- MIPS brain protection system, reduces rotational forces to the brain
- Digital wind tunnel-tested, aerodynamic shell design
- Revolutionary injection-moulded air intake system
- 20 high-flow intake and exhaust ports for maximum ventilation
- Added EPS and new head form shape for improved impact performance
- Full incremental sizing for greater range of fitment
- Deep EPS channeling for optimal airflow
- Strategically placed interior chin bar shock pads for comfort and durability
- Removable, washable padded liner with Coolmax™ and Dri-lex™ moisture wicking materials
- Contoured 3D cheek pads fit anatomically
- Quick-release cheek pads for emergency helmet removal
- Purpose-built internal cavities for audio integration
- Titanium hardware for reduced weight
- Includes 2 lightweight, streamlined visors and a helmet bag
Troy Lee Designs A1 Helmet
Troy Lee Designs use the same focus of style, function and fit in their half shell helmets as they do with their full face helmets. The A1 helmet went on the market in 2013, and has evolved over time to make it more comfortable and safer. It now has the MIPS system, which reduces the rotational forces that can happen during an impact.
The A1 is a lightweight all mountain helmet that provides as much coverage as possible. It is an ideal helmet for enduro and cross-country riding. It also looks pretty good, and there is a huge choice of styles and colours to choose from.
- Reinforced polycarbonate shell in-moulded with the EPS liner
- MIPS brain protection system
- 8 pressurised intake passages
- 8 rear vacuum vortex outlets
- Triple position adjustable retention system
- Single piece removable and washable comfort liner
- Full-spectrum adjustable Moto-inspired visor with anodised aluminium hardware
- Race inspired styling
Troy Lee Designs A2
The Troy Lee Designs A2 helmet was released in 2018 and is an improved version of the A1. The primary improvements are focused around extra protection. The A2 combines EPS (expanded polystyrene) to protect your head from high speed impacts and EPP (expanded polypropylene), for low speed impacts. Additionally, this helmet has MIPS, so provides even more protection.
- Huge air intakes
- MIPS brain protection system
- X-Static® pure silver comfort liner
- Dual-density EPS co-moulded with EPP
- 16% more EPS+EPP in the frontal lobe
- Raised EPS splines
- Aerospace filament-reinforced polycarbonate shell
- Break-away anodised aluminium visor screws
- Rear stabiliser fit system with 3-position front and rear locations
- Expanded field of view
- Multiple storage locations for glasses
- Low-profile fixed strap dividers for a no-fuss fit every time (AUS/NZ A2 helmets have low-profile adjustable strap dividers for a custom fit)
- Fit kit
- Ventilated storage bag for helmet
- Sticker kit
- 3 year manufacturer’s warranty
- Meets or exceeds CPSC 1203, CE EN 1078, AS NZ 2063:2008
- Weight: 350g (size M/L)
[table id=93 /]
What do you think?
Personally I think Troy Lee Designs products are great quality and look great, even though some are a bit shouty. Please leave your thoughts and questions in the comments section below. Also, don’t forget to sign up for the MTB-Threads newsletter!